Go Pro – PADI Instructor
PADI Instructor Development Course
The Open Water Instructor level is the highest professional level in scuba diving. As an PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, a dive professional is qualified to train and certify divers from Open Water up to Divemaster, with the world’s largest scuba training agency.
As one can imagine, this is a position of immense responsibility, as the student’s safety is entirely in the hands of the instructor. As such, our training is extremely thorough: we take this program very seriously and we expect the candidate to do so as well. We take great pride in developing qualified professionals who are capable of teaching to a high standard, and graduates of our professional program are very highly in demand throughout the country.
But this also doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have fun – after all, one of the benefits of doing your training in the magical waters of the Andamans is spending some time diving the amazing waters here (and isn’t that why we got into the sport to begin with?)!
Requirements for Instructor
In order to become an Instructor, the candidate needs to meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum of 100 logged dives
- Complete the Instructor Development Course (IDC) with a qualified Course Director
- Pass an Instructor Evaluation (IE), conducted by an independent examiner sent by PADI
- Have a current, valid medical clearance
- Apply and pay for membership with PADI
Pre-requisites to start the IDC
In order to enrol in an IDC, the candidate needs to have the following pre-requisites:
- Certified as an Divemaster with any recognised agency
- Have a valid CPR/First aid certificate from within 24 months
- Be certified as a diver for minimum 6 months
- Have a current, signed medical form dated within the last 12 months
The Instructor Development Course (IDC) and Instructor Exam (IE)
The Instructor Development Course is a 2 week program. This program reviews some of the diving theory from Open Water all the way to instructor, covers the 3 components of teaching (Academics, Confined Water, Open Water) and also the business/risk management side of diving.
Candidates who are enrolling in the program from another agency, or candidates who do not have a lot of actual working experience as a DM or AI are encouraged to come early and join our optional 2-week long Prep Internship, where they will spend a little more time building/reviewing the fundamentals of control, supervision and professional-level theory. As with any other program, the more time you spend, the better you get, so we always welcome candidates who want to come early and get some more experience before starting the course.
Also, after successful completion of the IE, candidates have the opportunity to do a MSDT Internship at Diveindia and get their Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) rating. Contact us for more info on this.
Please contact us for up-to-date pricing as all-inclusive IDC+stay packages.
2021 PADI IDC Dates
For 2021, we have one IDC scheduled:
- Prep phase (optional): November 15-29, 2021
- IDC: November 30 – December 7, 2021
- IE: Dec 8-9, 2021
- Teaching internship (optional): December 10, 2021 onwards